Anxiety is an emotion characterized by an unpleasant state of inner turmoil, often accompanied by nervous behavior. Anxiety displays an unpleasant feeling of dread over anticipated events.
Anxiety can make you feel unmotivated and ineffective.
- Fixation on the outcome of an event
- Restlessness and difficulty concentrating
- Problems with decision-making
- Irrational fears
- Shortness of Breath
- Sweating , tremors and twitches
- Headaches, fatigue and insomnia
- Upset stomach, frequent urination or diarrhea
To have an Anxiety Disorder you do not have to experience all symptoms.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)-Produces chronic, exaggerated worrying about everyday life
- Obsessive-Complusive Disorder (OCD)-Recurrent ,unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions).
- Panic Disorder-Panic Attacks and sudden feelings of terror striking repeatedly without warning
- Post-Traumactic Stress Disorder (PTSD)-Exposure to a terrifying event or ideal in which grave physical harm occurred or was intended. Traumatic events that may trigger PTSD may include violent physical attack, natural or human disaster, accidents, or military combat.
- Social Anxiety-Intense fear about social interaction
Causes of Anxiety could be
- Genetics- Supported evidence that Anxiety disorders “run in families “.
- Environment-A stressful or traumatic event such as abuse, death of a loved one, violence or prolonged illness.
Anxiety Related Conditions
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Eating Disorders
Quiet Avenue Life Coaching & Therapy uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), a customized ecomap and a genogram as tools in the treatment of Anxiety Disorders.